Title: Lola and the Boy Next Door
Author: Stephanie Perkins
Another attempt for a YA genre and it’s another miss. It’s a story of a seventeen year old girl who is torn between two lovers – her boyfriend and her ex-crush that also has a crush on her (yes, very teenage-y).
Her eccentric self maybe the reason why she’s a magnet to guys both her age and even older.
Another thing that makes her unique is her family.
She was adopted by her uncle and his lover and she hates her birth mother because of what she is doing in her life. She’s pretty embarrassed when people would ask about his mother.
If I read this novel in college, maybe, I would have enjoyed it because it’s relatable and is timely. I only read this because of the good reviews I had been hearing and unfortunately, I’ve been listening to kids and never did I know that we have different interest.
It’s my first Stephanie Perkins and may also be the last (unfortunately) because of the theme. Unless, she’d start writing something different from this story line.
On the other hand, I gave this a 3/5 rating although I opted not to finish it, because other girls may enjoy the story and at the very least, I got that feeling of being one of the characters.
However, I’ve given more time in motivating myself to read this book, instead of actually reading it (do you ever do that too? when you have to pause, and try to read other books when you get bored with that one book you are currently reading, and just go back to it after you got bored with the other? that same thing and It’s been a long time and I have not finished the whole thing.
It means, I’m not so connected to it). Then, after a few pages, I’d be bored (again) and would be the same cycle on the next day. At least I gave the book a chance until I was half way through it.
Latest posts by Trixie Ricablanca (see all)
- Mga Tagpong Mukhang Ewan at Kung Anu Ano Pang Kababalaghan by Manix Abrera – Student’s Corner - September 22, 2017
- Alab ng Puso sa Dibdib Mo’y Buhay by Manix Abrera – Student’s Corner - September 21, 2017
- She’s Dating the Gangster by Bianca B. Bernardino – Student’s Corner - September 20, 2017
- Si by Bob Ong – Student’s Corner - September 20, 2017
- 3:30 p.m. with Sir Galahad (A Time for Dragons) by Kate Aton – Osias – Student’s Corner - September 19, 2017