Title: Words Fail Me
Author: Patricia T. O’Conner
Imagine this scenario “A family eating dinner” and then, put some modifier that can describe the family. For example ” A Hawaiian family eating dinner”. Suddenly, the picture in your imagination became different. These are the lines that prompted me to buy this book. (Though not exactly the lines in the book, I wrote it the way I remembered it).
The reviews about this book was also enticing. That’s why I grabbed my CC (credit card) and bought it.
Running out of Words : This is an article that you can read in my personal blog and since I am not so good in vocabulary and my spelling always sucks, I thought of having some personal project and this book has been my very first victim or should I say the other way around.
I was “victimized” by this book because of a number of highfalutin words that you can encounter. I just added around 70 plus new words in my vocab notebook. There is never a page in this book that I haven’t turned, without asking Mr. Webster. (Ok, sort of exaggerating).
Nevertheless, I consider this book not for a rookie like me. This must be written for intermediate and professional writers.
Though the subjects sound “easy” because of how humorous the author tried to be, it’s still somehow complicated for me.
It presented the do’s and don’t in writing that somehow is hard to eliminate.
Here are some of the tips I got from it:
1. For better of for worse, audience is everything; no matter what you write, put a mental smiles on their faces.
2. Arrange the ideas logically.
3. An audience is a terrible thing to lose.
4. Readers won’t like what they don’t understand.
And a lot more. The rest is practical writing tips you’d find useful.
I rate it 3/5 for NOW, because it’s clearly a book I am so under qualified to read. But, if I get better, I’ll definitely re-read this and digest everything. By that time, hopefully, I can understand and do those tips as I write.
Because of this book as well, it made me realize that I should have some ran on and review ALL my blog posts in all my blogs because I am definitely sure that I violated some of the writing rules which I know will really take some time. :((
But, if you are a professional writer, you can definitely get a lot of insights and will benefit you as you well. ~!~
Latest posts by Trixie Ricablanca (see all)
- Alamat ng Gubat by Bob Ong – Student’s Corner - December 12, 2017
- The Problem with Being Laura By Ava Feliz – Student’s Corner - December 12, 2017
- L’Aquilone du Estrellas Review (The Kite of Stars) by Dean Francis Alfar - December 1, 2017
- Si by Bob Ong – Student’s Corner - December 1, 2017
- Things that Matter by Michelle Abigail Tiu Tan – Student’s Corner - November 14, 2017